You’ve waited, saved, researched and it’s finally time; You’re actually ready to begin your dream home project! Whether it’s an updated kitchen, spa-style master bath, or lower level bar suited for entertaining, one thing remains true: you want your long-awaited remodel to be a success. The last thing anyone wants after investing their resources in a big home project is to end up disappointed, after all, you’re the one who has to live with the results.
Outside of thorough planning and finding a remodeling contractor that you trust, here are the top 5 mistakes to avoid making when embarking on any home remodeling project.
1. Too Trendy. Striking a balance between timeless and trend influenced styles will serve you well throughout any remodeling project. We know, if you’re searching for inspiration on Pinterest or your favorite remodeling shows it’s impossible to avoid them; fads are everywhere. If subway tile and granite countertops are the kitchen finishes that make your heart go pitter-patter, then absolutely use them, just don’t let this season’s hottest craze distract you from your personal style. A good question to keep asking yourself is, “do I think I’ll still love this style in 10 years?” If the answer is no, then you might want to re-think that farmhouse sink.
2. Setting an Unrealistic Budget. When it comes to your remodeling budget, be prepared to be surprised at some point. There is simply no way to guarantee what will be found once you start ripping up floors and tearing down walls, particularly when changing the actual structure of your home. Make sure your contractor provides estimates that account for the best and worst case scenarios, and then plan funds accordingly. You’ll thank yourself later if something comes up, and if not then put the bonus money towards fun finishing touches.
3. Forgetting Important Measurements. Usually discovered when it’s too late, this mistake is often pricey and a true heartbreaker. Imagine, you’ve endured months of inconvenience and take-out dinners, and then in the final hour of your remodel you find your mistake: the fridge is too big for the new cabinets. Hours or labor wasted, estimated costs wiped out, patience totally depleted; please friends, don’t let this be you. Measure, measure, measure! Make lists, double-check, and measure absolutely everything. Don’t let a simple mistake derail your entire project, let us do the planning for you and take measuring off of your plate!
4. Not Investing in Quality Materials. We get it, remodels get expensive quick, but don’t let the cost of the initial investment scare you into using low-quality materials. The last thing you want is to skimp up front only to pay more to redo the job again later. Our team knows what materials to use, we’ll always guide you to the most high quality and cost-effective options we can find. Don’t forget: spending a little more now will help ensure that your remodel lasts for the long haul – we know you’ll thank yourself for it later!
5. Changing Your Mind Too Late. Thoroughly planning before you start any project is the best way to combat this problem, so save yourself and your contractor the stress and do your research. Browse home improvement stores, scour Houzz for ideas, paint test color swatches; do everything you can to get the full picture of what you want. Of course, some small changes along the way are to be expected, but the more you can avoid them the faster your remodel will be finished for you to enjoy!
Looking for an experienced and reliable contractor for your next remodeling project? Andrus Built can help! Our knowledgeable team has the expertise to make your remodeling dreams a reality. Contact our team to get started.