Thinking of remodeling your bathroom? In addition to decisions of layout and style, choosing your bathtub of choice will be a major part of what brings your room together. Unless you plan on skipping the bathtub all-together in favor of a shower only, you have two main areas to choose from — the freestanding tub or the built-in tub. Below is a quick comparison of the two:
- Freestanding models tend to be luxurious and dramatic. Their distinctive presence steals the show in any room.
- Though particularly popular for master baths, they can make a statement in a guest bath as well.
- Styles include claw-foot, pedestal, and soaking tubs.
- They don’t require wall space for installation or plumbing.
- The availability of styles is increasing as manufacturers offer more options.
- Typically intended for use in larger bathrooms, though compact versions are being made as well.
- Since these are heavier tubs, reinforced flooring may be required.
- Keep in mind that you’ll want to plan for bath-side storage—they don’t generally have natural ledges to store bath-side necessities.
- Freestanding tubs tend to be more expensive overall, but are growing in popularity.
- Built-in tubs are typically less expensive.
- Straightforward plumbing makes for easier installation.
- They are designed to work in tandem with a shower, unlike most freestanding bathtubs.
- Ledges make for easy storage for soap, shampoo, candles, and other bath necessities.
- Though a huge variety of models exists, they only vary so much in style.
Bathtubs are a lovely way to add a spa-like experience in your bathroom. Whether you choose to add drama with a luxurious freestanding tub or opt for the practicality and ease of a traditional built-in, the options available today are an exciting mix of contemporary and vintage; you will surely find something on the market that is the perfect fit for you!
Longing for a fresh, new bathroom space? Need more storage or want an updated bathroom style? Contact us here at Andrus Built today. Bringing remodeling projects to life throughout the Saint Paul and surrounding Twin Cities, MN — including North St Paul, Maplewood, Stillwater, Shoreview, White Bear Lake, and beyond!