The new year is always exciting! Even more so when you have something new to look forward to. If you need some inspiration as you begin planning a 2015 remodeling project, here are 10 trends predicted to be strong as homeowners remodel this year!
- Soaking tubs are in — putting freestanding showers and shower-tub combs actually on the decline. Check out some great examples of beautiful soaking tubs here.
- When a shower is a priority, more and more homeowners are opting for luxury, walk-in showers, with elaborate tile or stone walls.
- Gray wall tones continues to stay strong throughout the whole home, replacing the beige of the past. But now darker gray tones are finding their place as well. Look for charcoal accent walls!
- The kitchen sink is in for a big change too — two-bowl sinks are becoming less common, being replaced with single, deep-bowl sinks that can easily accommodate large pots and pans. Read about the pros and cons of the single bowl in this article from Better Homes & Gardens.
- Concern for healthy living environments is up, with homeowners choosing to upgrade their air filtration systems or pay attention to potential chemicals or toxins in their building materials.
- Metallic finishes are still on the rise, particularly satin nickel and copper. In addition to knobs and fixtures, look for copper sinks, lighting, and even countertops! Take a peek at these examples of copper being used in the kitchen from houzz.com.
- Hardwood floor is still the leading trend in floors, but the quality of engineered hardwood is getting better and better, making it an affordable option more people will leap for.
- More and more people are thinking in terms of the way their home functions, not just how it looks. Homeowners are spending more time space-planning and evaluating the way their home fits their lifestyle, not the other way around.
- The emphasis on outdoor living continues to grow. Screened-in porches or backyard patios with indoor-like amenities are expected to be more in demand than ever.
- Homeowners are taking advantage of technology and automation, adding smart devices and automated controls when they build or remodel. Want to see what the techies have been up to? Check out these home-tech additions featured in the HGTV Smart Home.
Ready to begin planning a remodel of your own? Whether you want to incorporate any of these trends, or keep it simple, we’d be happy to talk with you about the design that’s right for you and your home! Andrus Built offers remodeling and building services throughout Saint Paul, Minneapolis, the eastern suburbs and the surrounding Twin Cities area.